No. 10/9 Ohio State 62, Maryland 14
Saturday, Oct. 7, 2017
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio
- The Buckeyes improved to 71-19-5 in Homecoming games.
- At halftime, Ohio State honored eight new members enshrined in the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame Friday night. The group includes LeCharles Bentley (football), Tom Byers (men’s track and field), Mike Conley (men’s basketball), Chelsea Davis (women’s diving), Pete Hanson (men’s volleyball), Bryce Keough (wrestling), Christina Manning (women’s track and field), Nancy Pearson (women’s swimming).
- Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer, coaching in his 200th career game, now has 170-30 all-time record (.850) and 66-7 mark at Ohio State. He is 45-11 in his career in the month of October and 18-1 at Ohio State.
- Meyer improved to 10-1 in games against his former assistants’ teams. Maryland head coach DJ Durkin worked as a graduate assistant under Meyer at Bowling Green and later reunited with Meyer as linebackers and special teams coach at Florida.
- Ohio State outgained the Terrapins 361-26 in the first half.
- Ohio State’s defense has held each of its last four opponents to fewer than 100 yards passing.
- Ohio State limited Maryland to 66 yards of total offense. The figure is the least amount of total yards the Buckeyes have allowed in a Big Ten game since allowing 60 yards to Indiana Nov. 5, 1960.
- The Buckeyes held Maryland to 16 passing yards. It marked the least passing yards allowed by Ohio State in a Big Ten game since is allowed zero to Wisconsin Nov. 18, 1989.
- The Buckeyes scored 50 or more points for the third consecutive game, the longest streak since 2014 when it scored 66, 50, 52 and 56 points in wins over Kent State, Cincinnati, Maryland and Rutgers.
- Ohio State tied its season high with five sacks.
- J.T. Barrett amassed 300 or more yards of total offense for the 18th time in his 42-game career.
- Barrett has moved into eighth place in Big Ten history with 10,670 yards of total offense. He passed Juice Williams (10,594), and Nathan Scheelhaase (10,634) today. Both are from Illinois. Up next: Tommy Armstrong (10,690) and Denard Robinson (10,745).
- Jerome Baker’s 20-yard fumble recovery for a touchdown was the first fumble returned for a touchdown for the Buckeyes since Vonn Bell returned one 14 yards for a touchdown against Hawaii Sept. 12, 2015.
- The 53-yard reception by Mike Weber on Ohio State’s second possession was a career long (rushing or receiving). It tops his previous high of a 52-yard run last season at Michigan State.
- Ohio State has outscored opponents 60-13 in the first quarter in six games this season and produced points on four of six opening drives.