This is officially the 93rd game in the series and the 11th consecutive season the two teams have met on the gridiron. Ohio State holds a 74-12-5 advantage in the all-time series and has won 23 consecutive games dating to a 27-all tie in 1990. Indiana last defeated Ohio State consecutively in 1987 and 1988. Ohio State prevailed last season, 49-26, but didn’t pull away from the Hoosiers until a fourth-quarter TD pass from Dwayne Haskins to Indianapolis native Terry McLaurin increased the lead to 42-26.
- Ohio State has an all-time record of 27-2-1 in Bloomington.
- The Buckeyes have outscored their opponents 56-3 in the first half so far this season.
- Ryan Day is the 25th head coach in school history.
- This is the 150th anniversary season of college football.
- Over the last seven seasons, Ohio State owns a 30-3 record in Big Ten road games.
DOBBINS 8TH IN CAREER RUSHING YARDS
- Junior RB and 28-game starter J.K. Dobbins is eighth among current players in career rushing yards with 2,688.
- That total is seventh among Power 5 RBs and third in the Big Ten to Jonathan Taylor (4,408 yards) and Rodney Smith (3,112).
- Dobbins is seeking to become the first Ohio State runner to ever rush for 1,000 or more yards as a freshman, sophomore and junior.
FIELDS’ FAST START
- Justin Fields has nine total touchdowns through two games with Ohio State (six passing, three rushing).
- He’s tied with Dwayne Haskins (2018) and J.T. Barrett (2016) for the most total touchdowns by a Ohio State quarterback in the first two games over the last 15 seasons.
- Fields ranks eighth nationally in passing efficiency (192.5).
- Ohio State ranks in the top 20 nationally in three important defensive categories: scoring defense (16th, 10.5 points/game), total defense (20th, 250.5 yards/game) and rushing defense (11th, 64.5 yards/game).
- The last time Ohio State allowed less than 300 yards in its first two games of the season was 2016.
- The Buckeyes’ defense has surrendered just two touchdowns over the first eight quarters of the season.
- Ohio State’s given up just two plays of 30 yards of more (none longer than 50 yards) and only one rush of 20 yards or more.
- The Buckeyes’ 19.0 tackles-for-loss this season ranks No. 11 nationally and their 9.0 sacks are ninth.
Ohio State is 10-0 the last three seasons when junior RB J.K. Dobbins rushes for at least 100 yards. He had a 141-yard half last week vs. Cincinnati.
Junior DE Chase Young is tied for 7th nationally with 3.0 quarterback sacks/1.5 per game. His 28 lost yards on quarterback sacks is tied for first with among others, former Buckeye Keandre Jones of Maryland.
The series with Indiana, which started in 1901, is the second-longest running or oldest series for Ohio State after its series against Michigan, which started in 1897.
Indiana has thrown for 742 yards against Ohio State the past two seasons (322 in 2018 and 420 in 2017), an average of 371.0 passing yards in the two games.
Ohio State’s defense is allowing just 64.5 yards per game rushing over the first two weeks of the season, good for 11th best nationally. It is allowing just 1.93 yards per carry, 10th best in the nation.
- The Hoosiers are 2-0 on the season with wins over Ball State and Eastern Illinois.Quarterback Michael Penix Jr. earned the starting quarterback job and opened the season with a 326-yard performance vs. Ball State.
- Running back Stevie Scott, a sophomore, has carried the ball a team-high 31 times thus far with 109 yards and three TDs.
- The Hoosiers’ offensive line is yet to allow a sack this season.
- Defensively, LB Reakwon Jones had 15 total tackles while DL James Head Jr. leads in both sacks (1.5) and tackles-for-loss (2.5).